What's great about it
This is the perfect season to enjoy asparagus. I love this beautiful and simple salad that's loaded with goodness and takes just a few minutes to prepare. Asparagus is a wonderful source of beta-carotene, Vitamins B1, B2, C, E K, folate and iron. Four cooked spears of fresh Asparagus provide nearly half the daily recommendation for Vitamin K1, which aids bone and blood health. Asparagus is also rich in inulin. Inulin works as a prebiotic - similar to Jerusalem artichoke, to help stimulate the growth of good healthy bacteria in the digestive system.
60 ml (1/4 cup) cold pressed olive oil
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives
few sprigs of thyme
Sea salt + black pepper to taste
600 g asparagus, trimmed
200 g feta, sliced (your choice, goats, Persian etc)
- Combine olive oil, lemon, parsley, chives and thyme into a small mixing bowl.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Whisk until combined then set aside.
- Blanch the asparagus for 1 minute boiling water then remove with a slotted spoon.
- Arrange asparagus onto a serving plate.
- Top with fine slices of feta and drizzle over the gorgeous herb dressing.
Notes and Inspiration
This salad can be eaten hot or cold, so if serving cold, it's important to lightly refresh the blanched asparagus in iced water which will help retain the glorious green colour.
Any left over asparagus can be thrown into an impromptu omelette made with organic eggs and lemon scented garden herbs.
Use goats cheese or sliced avocado in place of feta.
Top with chopped organic hard boiled eggs, truffle oil and grated Parmesan.
Top with avocado quarters, chopped pistachio, lemon juice and olive oil.