Cold-Pressed Walnut Milk
What's great about it
I'm in love with walnuts at the moment and love to blend them with filtered water and vanilla bean to make the most delicious omega-3 rich walnut milk. Walnuts are a delicious source of omega 3 EFA’s (essential fatty acids) which are critical for good health. Health benefits of omega-3 are helping to lower cholesterol levels, reduce high blood pressure, improves symptoms of arthritis, improves mental health as the brain is 60% fat and needs omega-3 to function properly.
Serves 6 / Makes 1L
125 g (1 cup) walnuts (soaked for 3 hours)
1 litre (4 cups) filtered water
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
2 fresh dates, pitted
pinch cinnamon (optional)
1. Combine the walnuts and water in a good high-speed blender.
2. Add vanilla, dates, cinnamon.
3. Blend at medium to high speed until creamy white. This should take about a 30 seconds to 1 minute.
4. Strain through a fine sieve or muslin or nut milk bag.
5. Pour into clean glass bottles or jars.
6. Store walnut milk for about 4 days in the fridge.
Notes and Inspiration
Soaking the walnuts before blending will make them easier to blend and improve digestion.
Blend with a little golden delicious apple and Healthy Chef protein to make a purely delicious apple crumble power smoothie
Use as a substitute for regular milk in your favourite bircher or power porridge.
For a calcium boost, I normally add a tablespoon of tahini (sesame seed paste) before blending and to pump up the protein I just throw in a tablespoon of natural protein powder.