What's great about it
You will absolutely love my lamington recipe – made from fresh whipped organic eggs, coconut flour, vanilla and raspberries that make them taste purely delicious. The secret to coating your lamingtons is to lightly spread the chocolate gananche thinly and delicately over the raspberry cake - then lightly dip in your coconut. Be gentle - make them with love and you'll have the most delicious lamingtons you've ever tasted.
Makes 24 squares
6 organic eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or 2 teaspoons vanilla bean extract
2 tablespoons raw honey or sweetener of your choice (organic maple syrup, few drops stevia etc)
¼ cup (60 ml / 2 fl oz) macadamia nut oil or your choice of (cold-pressed coconut oil, butter or olive oil)
½ cup (70 g / 2 ½ oz) coconut flour (see notes)
2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
1 cup (150 g / 5 ¼ oz) fresh or frozen raspberries
1 cup (75 g / 2 ½ oz) shredded or desiccated coconut for rolling
100 g good quality dark eating chocolate 70% cocoa - finely chopped
100 ml coconut milk or pouring cream
- Preheat your oven to 160°C / 320°F.
- Whip the eggs, vanilla and honey for 10 minutes until light and creamy.
- Pour in the macadamia nut oil with the eggs still whipping and mix well.
- Add the coconut flour and baking powder and mix until combined.
- Pour lamington cake mix into a square 22 cm baking tin lined completely with baking paper.
- Sprinkle the raspberries evenly over the top.
- Bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until cooked through.
- Cool for 30 minutes before lifting out from the tin to completely cool.
- Divide cake into 25 mini squares.
Make your chocolate ganache:
- Heat the cream or coconut milk in a small pan until almost boiling. Turn off the heat.
- Add the chocolate and allow to sit for 2 minutes without stirring.
- Stir the mix until you have a smooth silky ganache.
- Spread or dip each square of leamington with a little chocolate ganache.
- Roll in coconut and place onto a tray lined with baking paper to set.
Notes and Inspiration
If you want this cake to be nut-free make sure to use a good cold pressed coconut oil, butter or extra virgin olive oil instead.
These delicious lamingtons will keep covered in the fridge for up to 4 days.
You can get coconut flour from most good health food stores.