Mango Coconut Salsa
What's great about it
This is a purely delicious recipe from my 80/20 book. My mango coconut salsa is perfect for your Australia Day summer time BBQ and it goes wonderfully well with just about anything from white fish to poached organic chicken. The mangoes I used are Honey Gold Mangoes from PINATA FARMS in Queensland, and all you really need to do is just add a squeeze of lime and a few aromatics and you have the most amazing salsa you'll ever eat.
Makes 1 jar
2 purely delicious mangoes
1 red onion, finely diced
2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
1 bunch coriander, chopped
1 fresh young coconut
fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Slice the cheeks from each side of the mango, remove the flesh and chop into dice.
- Place diced mango into a bowl.
- Add the onion, the juice from 4 limes, ginger and coriander.
- Cut the tops of the young coconut and enjoy a glass of coconut water.
- Remove the soft white coconut flesh with a spoon and chop into fine dice.
- Combine the coconut flesh gently with the rest of the mango salsa and season with a generous grind of black pepper. At this stage you can add a little chilli if you wish.
- Refrigerate salsa until required.
- Store for unto 3 days.
Notes and Inspiration
Serve over BBQ'd, pan roasted or steamed white fish and a classic leaf salad or cinnamon roasted sweet potato.
Serve with poached or roasted chicken and a lush kale salad.
Serve with green burgers and scatter with my awesome macadamia nut dukkah.
Spoon inside soft shell fish tacos and dollop with lush organic yoghurt.
Serve with BBQ'd king prawns or fresh cooked blue-swimmer crab.
Add fresh grated turmeric for extra anti inflammatory benefits.
Omit the diced coconut and chilli if you prefer.
Add pomegranate jewels in place of the coconut.
Use pineapple in place of mango for a change.
Add a pinch of turmeric, lemongrass and galangal for a flavour hit as well as anti-inflammatory benefits.