Raw Chocolate Cake
What's great about it
Dates give a lovely natural sweetness that replaces traditional cane sugar in this easy chocolate cake recipe. High in minerals, potassium, chromium, magnesium and iron, they give this beautiful cake its natural sweetness whilst the cacao, gives the cake its delicious rich depth.
Makes 1 cake
3 heaped tablespoons raw cocoa powder or Naked Chocolat Dark
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
22 pitted fresh dates
Zest from 1 orange + a little juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 ripe avocados, skin and stone removed
6 fresh pitted dates
1/2 cup water or almond milk
1/2 cup Naked Chocolat Dark or raw cacao powder
1/4 cup cold pressed coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract
Pinch of sea salt
- Combine walnuts, cocoa powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Process until ground, but not too fine.
- Add dates, orange zest and vanilla.
- Process again. Test and see if the cake starts to come together when pressed, if not add the juice of 1/2-1 orange then process again.
- Press cake into a 15cm small round baking tin – spring form is best. I normally line the cake tin with baking paper first so I can easily remove the cake afterward.
- You don't bake this chocolate cake. Just place into the fridge for at least 2 hours to chill and set.
- Remove from the tin.
- Combine chocolate frosting together in a high speed blender until smooth and creamy.
- Spread over the cake.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.