Smashed Berry + Vanilla Jam
What's great about it
One of my favourite things to make this time of year is my purely delicious smashed berry and vanilla jam. I love serving it in so many different ways like spooning over fresh made ricotta and serving with organic sourdough or enjoying a spoonful with lush organic yoghurt and healthy chef protein for a quick milkshake; I even love making a fabulous Christmas trifle with spoonfuls of smashed berry jam, fresh coconut cream and almond crumble.
Makes 1 jar
500 g (17 1/2 oz) strawberries, washed with stalks removed
300 g (10 1/2 oz) raspberries
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste / extract or pods from 1/2 vanilla bean
2 fresh dates, pitted or a little stevia
2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Combine 250 g (8 1/2 oz) strawberries, vanilla and dates into a high performance blender like a Vitamix.
- Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust sweetness if necessary. I love it a little tart and less sweet.
- Spoon the strawberry puree into a bowl.
- Add the chia seed and mix through.
- Smash the raspberries and add to the strawberry puree.
- Dice the other 250 g (8 1/2 oz) of strawberries then add to the strawberry puree.
- Allow the berry jam to settle and develop for 30 minutes in your refrigerator.
- Serve any way you love – it’s Purely Delicious!
Notes and Inspiration
Add 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses to the jam.
Add other berries such as blueberries, goji or black berries.
Add the zest and a little juice of 1/2 orange.
Use manuka honey in place of dates.
Spoon onto fresh ricotta that is spread onto warm toasted sourdough.
Fill berry and vanilla jam in between a home made vanilla sponge cake made from organic eggs.
Use for your next trifle and serve with home made organic custard.
Dollop over home made pumpkin or vanilla scones.
Blend with fresh made cashew nut milk and combine with healthy chef protein and organic superfood for a quick delicious smoothie on the go.
Add a spoonful into your bircher muesli and serve with banana and blueberry and almonds.
Spoon over fresh made ricotta pancakes and serve with lush bio yoghurt.