Spelt + Honey Banana Bread
What's great about it
Featured in my latest cookbook Healthy Baking, I originally created this beautiful banana bread many years ago for the Healthy Chef Café, where it was one of my most popular recipes. Its rich, beautiful texture comes from the smashed bananas and heart healthy olive oil, making it pure goodness in a loaf. It's delicious toasted and served warm with organic butter or a dollop of ricotta and honey.
Makes 1 loaf
450 g (15 ¾ oz) smashed banana
2 organic eggs
125 g (4 oz / 1/3 cup) raw honey
125ml (4 fl oz / ½ cup) extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
175 g (6 oz / 2 1/4 cup) desiccated coconut
180 g (6 oz / 1 ½ cups) wholemeal spelt flour
- PREHEAT your oven to 160°C fan-forced (320° F).
- COMBINE banana, eggs, honey, olive oil and cinnamon into a mixing bowl.
- ADD baking powder, desiccated coconut and spelt flour
- MIX until combined.
- SPOON batter into a lined loaf tin.
- BAKE for 1 hour or until cooked through – test with a skewer first before removing from the oven.
- COOL completely before removing from the tin.
Notes and Inspiration
Use organic maple syrup in place of honey.
Substitute olive oil for macadamia oil.
Add ½ cup of chopped walnuts before baking.
Serve it warm for a comforting breakfast or healthy snack.