Spinach, Kale + Ricotta Pie
What's great about it
This is a delicious meal that I often make for my weekday dinner or as a portable healthy lunch. Kale is part of the cabbage family and this wonderful vegetable is a good source of all three antioxidants: beta-carotene and vitamins C and E. Leafy greens such as spinach are the greatest super food around and they are packed with folate, vitamins minerals and fibre. Ricotta is a good source of protein, which encourages muscle growth and repair. Protein will also supply your body with slow-release energy to keep you satisfied for hours.
2 leeks, washed finely sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 bunch kale or Cavolo Nero, washed trimmed and finely shredded
200 g baby spinach leaves
Black pepper – a generous pinch
200 g full-fat ricotta
2 organic eggs
small bunch chopped parsley
Spelt + Oatmeal Shortcrust
300 g wholemeal spelt flour
200 g cold butter
Pinch of sea salt
60 - 80 ml iced water
1 cup rolled oats
- Make the shortcrust first and combine flour, butter and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour gently using your fingertips until the final mix looks crumbly.
- Add iced water, a little at a time starting with 3 tablespoons and mix through to form a lovely dough.
- Scatter the rolled oats onto a working surface and roll the dough through the oats so that they stick to the sides of the dough.
- Flatten out the shortcrust pastry with your hands and wrap securely in baking paper or cling wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before using.
- Make the filling and saute the leek in a little olive oil until softened.
- Add Cavolo Nero and cook through over a low to medium heat for 5 minutes until collapsed.
- Add spinach and mix through for 2 minutes until just wilted.
- Season with a little sea salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and spoon into a colander to drain off any excess liquid.
- Cool completely.
- Transfer greens into a mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs, ricotta and parsley and mix well until combined.
- Line the base of a pie dish with pastry - any leftovers can be used to decorate the top of your pie or left out if you wish.
- Spoon spinach and ricotta filling into the pie and level out with a spoon and decorate if needed.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 180 C or until golden and cooked through.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with a garden salad.