Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies
What's great about it
You simply can't go wrong with these healthy one-bowl chocolate chip cookies. Supremely soft & chewy, the kids will love mixing all the ingredients and, more importantly, love eating them. For an extra healthy cookie, add a tablespoon of Whey Protein Isolate or Organic Pea Protein in vanilla!
Makes 12 cookies
200 g (2 cups /7 oz) organic rolled oats
50 g (1 ¾ oz) flaked or desiccated coconut
60 g (2 oz) macadamia nut oil or your choice cold pressed coconut oil or melted butter
60 g (2 oz) raw honey, organic maple syrup or rice syrup
1 organic egg
100 g (3 ½ oz) block good quality 70% dark chocolate (see notes)
- Preheat your oven to 150°C / 300*F.
- Combine oats, coconut, oil or melted butter, honey and egg into a mixing bowl.
- Mix through with your hands for a few minutes – squishing the ingredients together until the cookie starts to come together.
- I often like to rest the mixture for 5 minutes after mixing – so the oats soften a little more and hold together when squished.
- Chop up the chocolate with a large knife.
- Add chocolate to the oats and mix through.
- Form into 12 cookies… I love using a small ice cream scoop for this – so easy that way.
- Place onto a lined baking tray and flatten slightly.
- Bake for approx 20 minutes or until golden. Check half way through the cooking… they are delicate so you need to watch them.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely. Enjoy.
Notes and Inspiration
The secret to making these chocolate chip cookies lies in the mixing. Making sure the ingredients are well combined and gently massaged and squished together with your hands so that the oats still remain intact. Don’t be tempted to put this into a food processor – the result is not quite the same as hand made.
Keeps in an airtight container for 1 week.