Paleo Pumpkin Bread
What's great about it
Here is a delicious gluten-free bread recipe. What I love about it is that it's really easy to make. Most pumpkin breads use smashed cooked pumpkin, but I decided to have a go at using grated raw pumpkin to save a little time. This creates a lovely texture that's moist on the inside which makes it wonderful to eat with both savoury and sweet toppings. I love mine topped with macadamia nut butter and a little honey or as a side to a vegetable based soup topped with avocado, but serve it as you wish.
450 g (16 oz) grated raw pumpkin (winter squash)
4 whole organic eggs
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup (60 ml/2 fl oz) extra virgin olive oil, macadamia nut oil or cold pressed coconut oil
2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder (you can also use 3/4 teaspoon baking soda + a tablespoon lemon juice
3 cups (300g/10 1/2 oz) almond meal
1 tablespoon honey (optional)
pumpkin seeds to sprinkle on top
- Preheat your oven to 150°C fan-forced or 180°C if your oven has no fan.
- Combine the pumpkin, eggs, salt, nutmeg and oil into a bowl.
- Add the almond meal and baking powder and mix well.
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper at the base and the sides.The size I used was: 10 1/2 cm wide and 26 cm long.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and sprinkle the top with the pumpkin seeds.
- Bake for approximately 1 1/2 hours - check after 1 hour and test as times may vary depending on your oven and temperature.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest in the tin for 1 hour before removing from the tin.
- Cool and enjoy.
Notes and Inspiration
This beautiful bread goes perfectly with slices of avocado or topped with my macadamia nut butter.