Porridge with Apple + Hazelnut Crumble
What's great about it
There is nothing better than a warm bowl of nourishing porridge to start the day. I love this recipe, it's simplicity and a delicious taste reminiscent of apple strudel. What's great about it is that it takes just a few minutes to cook up and if you're a mover and shaker, you can easily combine all the ingredients into a bowl the night before and allow the oats and seeds to soften and absorb the milk and aromatics. Use whatever milk you prefer - but the real secret is to have extra hot steaming milk on hand to pour over around the edges. You can also top with extra fruits such as banana or vanilla poached pear.
1/4 cup (25 g/ 3/4 oz) organic rolled oats (see notes on GF)
1 red apple, grated
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
1 heaped tablespoon ground/ chopped roasted hazelnut
20 g (1/2 oz) dried organic apple
1 tablespoon muscatel raisins
pinch of cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1 cup (250 ml / 8 1/2 oz) milk (your choice almond, dairy, coconut, seed)
1/2 cup (125 ml/ 4 1/2 fl oz) water
- Combine oats, apple, flaxseed, hazelnut, dried apple, muscatels, cinnamon, vanilla and milk into a small pot.
- Cook for about 3 - 5 minutes over a medium heat or until your porridge is creamy, hot and thick, adding more water or milk if necessary.
- Pour into a serving bowl.
- Sprinkle with extra hazelnuts over the top before serving - you can also add a touch of
- Accompany with extra hot milk to pour around the edges if you wish.
- Sprinkle with combined hazelnut crumble.
- Enjoy and be nourished.
Notes and Inspiration
1 tablespoon ground and chopped hazelnuts
pinch ground cinnamon
- For gluten free porridge replace 1/4 cup oats with your choice of: Rolled or cooked whole quinoa, LSA, roasted buckwheat or millet.
- Stir through 1 tablespoon natural protein if needed.