Wholesome Carrot, Apple + Oatmeal Muffins
What's great about it
If you crave a quick, healthy + delicious breakfast on the run then these wholesome muffins hit the spot in every way. They are packed with antioxidants, fibre and protein and make the perfect portable meal if you need some quick nourishment. I love to make them in advance when I know I've got a busy week in front of me. They marry perfectly with my hot matcha tea or ristretto long black and will sustain me all morning. You don't need to fuss to much when making these muffins - they are the sort of throw in the bowl and mix with the hands type of muffin that you can whip up in about 10 minutes.
Makes 12 muffins
250 g (8 ¾ oz) grated carrot
250 g (8 ¾ oz) roughly grated or finely sliced apple (skin on)
130 g (4 ½ oz) raisins
¼ cup (2 fl oz) olive oil or melted butter
¼ cup (2 fl oz) raw honey
3 organic eggs
½ cup orange juice - freshly squeezed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or paste
300 g (10 ½ oz) wholemeal spelt flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
120 g (4 ¼ oz) walnuts
100 g (3 ½ oz) rolled oats
60 g (2 oz) pumpkin seeds
30 g (1 oz) sunflower seeds
50 g (1 ¾ oz) butter
2 teaspoons raw honey
- Preheat oven to 170°C/340°F – fan forced.
- Combine the grated carrot, apple, raisins, olive oil, vanilla, honey, orange juice and eggs into a mixing bowl.
- Add the spelt flour, baking powder and walnuts.
- Mix well with clean hands until mixture is combined.
- Spoon muffin mix into prepared muffin tins. I normally like to use a large ice cream scoop for this purpose as they portion your muffins perfectly.
- Make the crumble by combining the oats and seeds.
- Rub in the butter with your fingertips until evenly distributed throughout the oats.
- Add honey and mix through lightly. The mix should be crumbly and delicious.
- Top the muffins generously with the crumble.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes or until cooked through.
Notes and Inspiration
Use yoghurt or buttermilk in place or orange juice.
Boost protein and replace ¼ cup spelt flour with Protein powder.
They keep well in the fridge for around 3 days and are also delicious warm, dolloped with a thick Greek style yoghurt or ricotta.