Apple + Cinnamon Bread
What's great about it
My favourite fruit this time of year is the fuji apple. What I love about them is that they are wonderfully sweet and juicy to eat so they are the perfect ingredient to make my purely delicious apple + cinnamon bread. This is the sort of no fuss - one bowl style of bread that can easily be whipped up in around 10 minutes. Your whole kitchen will smell amazing when it's being baked as the cinnamon apple spice floats through the air. There is no need to add any sugar as the apple provides enough sweetness that can marry with lots of toppings both sweet and savoury - my favourites are macadamia nut butter, tahini or a generous spread of deli style ricotta.
450 g (3 cups / 15 3/4 oz) grated red apple - I used fuji apple - but you can add any other apple you like such as golden delicious.
2 teaspoons baking power
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3 organic free range eggs (see notes for vegan option)
1/4 cup (60 ml / 2 oz) macadamia nut oil (or your choice of coconut oil, olive oil, butter)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
2 cups (260 g / 9 oz) wholemeal spelt flour (see notes on gluten free)
- Preheat your oven to 180°C / 360°F.
- Combine apple, baking powder, salt, eggs, oil, cinnamon and vanilla into a bowl and mix well. I love using my hands for this to make sure all the ingredients gets around the grated apple. Now it's important to remember that the sweetness comes from the raw grated apple which produces a lovely wholegrain bread that is only slightly sweet and purely delicious, so don't be tempted to add any extra sugar.
- Add the wholemeal spelt flour and mix through lightly. It's important not to over-mix so just until it's combined.
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper at the base and the sides. The size I used was: 10 1/2 cm wide and 26 cm long.
- Spoon mixture into your loaf tin. Now at this stage you can choose to bake as is or garnish your bread with sliced apple and a little cinnamon or coconut sugar that will create a lovely caramelised flavour over the top of the apple.
- Bake for 1 hour or until skewer inserted comes out clean. Times may vary so check after 45 minutes and cover with foil if necessary.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 1 hour before removing from the tin. Enjoy.
Notes and Inspiration
Macadamia nut oil adds a lovely buttery flavour which I love - but you can also use your choice of olive oil, butter or coconut oil. My apple + cinnamon bread will keep for a good week in your fridge.
Serve topped with macadamia nut or almond butter and deli style ricotta.
Vegan option: Omit eggs and add 60 ml (1/4 cup / 2 fl oz) your choice milk (almond, rice, oat, coconut) + 2 tablespoons of chia seeds will also help. The vegan option is a much denser style of bread so you will not get the volume that's in the picture which has eggs.
Gluten-free option: Use 2 cups (200g/ 10 1/2 oz) almond meal in place of the spelt flour - use gluten free baking powder or 1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda + 2 tbsp lemon juice.