Mushroom & Quinoa Risotto With Brazil Nut Parmesan
By Teresa Cutter
What's great about it
This is my go-to risotto if I need something quick and healthy for dinner after I get home from work. In less than 20 minutes, I can have a bowl of goodness that nourishes my body from the inside out! Packed full of potassium, riboflavin and vitamin D, this purely delicious dish helps boost immune function and bone health. Brazil nuts are packed with selenium that helps to support heart health and muscle metabolism.
20 g dry porcini mushrooms
2 shallots, finely diced
650 g assorted mushrooms
1/2 cup (70 g) raw quinoa, washed and rinsed well
500 – 750 ml water or homemade vegetable stock (I use pure filtered water to make mine)
1 bunch parsley, chopped
100 g baby spinach leaves
50 g Brazil Nut Parmesan (see recipe below )
Black pepper and sea salt to taste
- Soak the porcini mushrooms in ½ cup boiling water for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Sauté the shallot in a little oil until golden.
- Break up some of the larger mushrooms with your fingers so that you get nice rustic pieces. Slice the rest if necessary.
- Add the mushrooms to the browned shallots in the pan.
- Sauté for a few minutes or until they start to colour.
- Add quinoa and 500 ml of water or stock if using.
- Mix through, cover and cook over a low heat for 15 – 20 minutes or until water has been absorbed and quinoa is tender.
- Add the spinach and parsley.
- Add more water or stock if necessary.
- Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Top generously with Brazil Nut Parmesan or traditional Parmesan if you prefer.
- Divide into serving bowls and enjoy or place the pan in the middle of the table and share with friends.
Notes and Inspiration
BRAZIL NUT PARMESAN
1 cup raw Brazil nuts
1 small clove of garlic
Pinch Celtic sea salt
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Combine Brazil nuts, garlic and salt in a food processor.
Process for about 15 seconds or until crumbly.
Add the zest of grated lemon and parsley.
Mix through and store this delicious vegan Parmesan in a glass jar in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Enjoy over salads, risotto, lasagne or steamed vegetables.
Use a mixture of assorted mushrooms including Swiss brown, large field mushrooms, pine mushrooms, button mushrooms etc.
Use fresh grated parmesan or gremolata as a topping for this delicious risotto.
More healthy recipes from Teresa Cutter
Shop The Story
Shop The Story
This recipe for Ribollita is from my Purely Delicious cookbook and Healthy Chef Recipes App. I...
This cauliflower fried rice is one of my favourite meals to make at home and...