Pumpkin Fruit Bread
By Teresa Cutter
What's great about it
What I love about this fruit loaf is that it's so easy to make and the use of grated raw pumpkin makes this cake extremely moist and delicious. Pumpkin is rich in omega 3 which makes it a perfect anti-inflammatory food. A number of age-related diseases have been linked to inflammation, including obesity, cancer, type 2 diabetes, atherosclerosis, arthritis, osteoporosis, depression and dementia. Eggs contain protein that helps to repair and nourish your body + immune system. Spelt is an ancient grain that is related to wheat, but has a lower gluten content so it’s kinder to the digestive system. It’s a good source of protein and has around 20% more protein + up to 65% more amino acids than traditional wheat flours. It's also a good source of fibre, so it can help keep you regular. I've used macadamia nut oil in my recipe that gives it a purely delicious flavour as well as being rich in heart healthy anti-inflammatory fats.
250g (2 cups) grated raw pumpkin
2 organic eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or paste
¼ cup macadamia nut oil or extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup raw honey or organic maple syrup
¾ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup (160g) raisins
1 cup (150g) wholemeal spelt flour (see notes for gluten free / paleo)
walnuts, pecans, hazelnut - to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 150°C fan-forced or 170°C no fan.
- Combine the raw pumpkin, eggs, vanilla, oil, honey, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and raisins.
- Add the spelt flour and mix through.
- Spoon into a prepared baking tin lined with baking paper. The size tin I used was 10 1/2 cm wide and 26 cm long.
- Garnish the top if you like then pop into the oven.
- Bake for 1 hour - 1 1/4 hour or until cooked through. You may need to cover the top with a little foil if necessary.
- The top of your cake should spring back when touched.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes before removing from the tin.
- Enjoy at room temperature alone or topped with ricotta + honey.