Apple + Cinnamon Breakfast Cookie
What's great about it
These little cookies make a portable healthy breakfast or snack that go perfectly with your morning tea or coffee. I've combined my apple + cinnamon porridge recipe that contains rolled oats, hazelnut, vanilla + muscatel with a little apple and heart healthy macadamia nut oil to make these delicious cookies. You can pump up the protein by replacing the raisins with omega 3 rich walnuts and make them gluten free by using rolled quinoa in place of the oats. I often stuff a few of these cookies into my cycling jersey to enjoy with my coffee after the ride.
Makes 12 cookies
180 g (6 ¼ oz / 1 full cup) smashed ripe banana or apple puree (unsweetened)
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
200 g (2 cups / 7 oz) rolled oats or barley + a little extra for decorating
50 g (½ cup / 2 oz) ground hazelnuts (or if you want to make this nut free - use desiccated coconut)
50 g (2 oz) rasins
50 g (2 oz) dried chopped apple
2 tablespoons raw honey
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
60 ml (2 fl oz / ¼ cup) macadamia nut oil or extra virgin olive olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 160°C / 320°F (fan-forced).
- Combine smashed banana or apple puree, vanilla with the cinnamon, oil and honey.
- Add oats, hazelnuts, raisins and dried apple.
- Mix together well with your hands, squeezing the mixture together until it starts to bind.
- Form into 12 cookies and roll them in some oats for decoration. I like to use a small ice cream scoop for this, but you can also use a tablespoon or your hands.
- Flatten slightly.
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until golden.
- Cool and enjoy.
Notes and Inspiration
To make these cookies gluten free, use rolled quinoa in place of the oats.
Alternatively you can also use almond meal - however you will need to reduce the banana or apple amount to 60 g.
Increase protein by adding 2 tablespoons Healthy Chef Protein. Both Organic Pea and Native WPI work really well!