Smashed Green Peas + Pan Roasted Salmon
What's great about it
Here's a quick + easy gourmet dinner to cook in around 10 minutes. I love the fact that it tastes so fresh and clean. I always have a few bags of peas in the freezer, as they combine really well into so many recipes and are packed with nutrition. I've used a delicious NZ Marlborough King Salmon for this recipe that is high in omega-3s, but feel free to use other fish too, as they all go really well with the smashed peas. Salmon is high in healthy marine long chain Omega-3s that is needed for heart and brain health as well as helping your immune system stay in good shape. Salmon is also a great source of protein to help build + repair the body. Green peas are loaded with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients. They are a great source of Vitamin A, K + folate, fibre and packed with protein as well as iron for energy metabolism.
4 x 200g (7 oz) salmon fillet, bones removed or feel free to use whatever fish you like (sardines, blue eye, snapper all work really well)
500 g / 17 1/2 oz green peas (fresh or frozen)
Avocado salsa verde
1 avocado, peeled and stone removed (200g / 7 oz)
juice from 1/2 lemon
1 bunch flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
1 small bunch mint leaves
1/2 cup (125 ml / 4 1/2 fl oz) water
sea salt and white pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 200°C / 400°F
- To make the avocado salsa verde:
- Combine the avocado, lemon juice, parsley, mint and 1/4 cup (60 ml / 2 fl oz) of the water in a good high speed blender like a Vitamix.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add the rest of the water and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Season with a little sea salt and pepper then set aside in the fridge until needed.
- Cook salmon fillets, skin side down in an oven proof pan with a little olive oil over a medium heat for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Place the pan in the oven to finish cooking the salmon for another 4 - 5 minutes to finish cooking.
- Cook peas for 5 minutes then drain.
- Smash them with a potato masher, adding 2 heaped tablespoons of the avocado salsa verde.
- Serve a scoop of smashed green peas onto serving plates and top with a piece of roasted salmon.
- Garnish with a little lemon and drizzle a little salsa verde around.
Notes and Inspiration
Use any left over salsa verde as a side to vegetables and salad.
After your meal it's a great idea to enjoy a vitamin C rich fruit such as orange, kiwi or mandarin to help with the iron absorption of the peas.