What's great about it
The other day I got asked about is "how to make caramelised onions" ? It's one of those comfort foods that makes anything you eat that little extra special, so here's my secret recipe for the best caramelised onions you'll ever eat! The most important thing to remember is that you need to cook them over a gentle heat - that way you'll bring out the natural sugars in the onions that helps them brown and make them taste irresistible.
4 onions, peeled and finely sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
Generous pinch sea salt
3 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon coconut sugar or honey
- Place the onions into a large heavy based pan.
- Add olive oil and a generous pinch of salt.
- Cook onions over a medium heat for about 20 minutes or until rich, golden and softened.
- Reduce the heat to extra low and slowly cook for another 10 minutes - making sure to stir frequently to stop any bits sticking to the pan.
- Add aged balsamic and honey and mix through.
- Taste and adjust accordingly then remove from the heat.
- Store in a glass jar in the fridge for up to 4 days.