By Teresa Cutter
What's great about it
Sometimes you just want a little chocolate therapy without all the nasties. I've designed that special indulgent treat that will surely satisfy when the afternoon munchies hit. I love making my own granola at home and I've used 100% pure gluten & dairy free ingredients that contain healthy brain boosting fats like almonds and coconut as well as antioxidant rich superfoods like cacao and berries.
Makes 1 jar
150g raw whole almonds, chopped
100g raw cashews
1 1/2 cups (100g) organic coconut flakes
1/2 cup (75g) cacao nibs
1/4 cup (40g) Naked Chocolat or cacao
1/4 cup (60ml) organic maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
a pinch of sea salt
Sprinkle goji berries or freeze dried berries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 120°C / 248°F.
- Chop the almonds roughly using a knife or food processor then add into a large mixing bowl.
- Add whole cashews, coconut, cacao nibs, Naked Chocolat and sea salt.
- Mix through lightly with your fingertips until combined.
- Add maple syrup and vanilla.
- Mix through well using your hands - I normally wear disposable gloves for this purpose. It's also important you continue to lightly mix for a few minutes until your raw mix looks wet and glossy. (see notes)
- Spread granola evenly and thinly onto a lined baking tray.
- Bake for 45 minutes - checking the granola after 30 minutes - just to make sure. (see notes)
- Cool granola completely then pack into glass storage jars.
- Enjoy as a snack straight out of the jar or topped with icy cold milk.
Notes and Inspiration
When first mixing the granola, it may seam a little dry but keep mixing and it will gradually become more moist, if needed add a teaspoon of water.
You can use raw honey in replace for maple syrup. Warm the honey in a little warm water before mixing through.
Add 1 tablespoon Healthy Chef Protein when mixing your dry ingredients to boost protein and amino acid profile.
My chocolate granola is the perfect pantry staple that you can enjoy as a crunchy chocolatey snack straight out of a jar or topped with your favourite icy cold milk.
Add goji berries, dried cherries or freeze dried berries after baking - the red fruits marry perfectly with chocolate.
Combine 1/4 cup of chocolate granola into a blender with 1 1/2 cups almond milk a scoop of Healthy Chef Protein and a little ice for a yummy chocolatey milkshake.