EGG WHITE OMELETTE
By Teresa Cutter
What's great about it
1 tablespoon dried wild forest mushrooms (porcini, chanterelle etc)
150 g (5 1/4 oz) Swiss brown mushrooms
1 shallot finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
large handful of baby spinach leaves
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
a pinch of sea salt and freshly ground pepper
4 free-range egg whites
1 teaspoon butter
1. SOAK dried forest mushrooms in 2 tablespoons boiling water for 15 minutes until softened.
2. DRAIN and reserve the soaking liquid.
3 SAUTE the Swiss brown mushrooms and shallot in the olive oil for 1 - 2 minutes until golden.
4. ADD forest mushrooms along with 1 tablespoon of the soaking liquid from the forest mushrooms.
5. ADD baby spinach leaves, parsley, sea salt and pepper, and mix through a little butter.
6. WHIP the egg whites and a pinch of salt until they form soft peaks, like you would for a soufflé. A little salt stabilizes the egg whites.
7. SPOON egg whites over the mushrooms.
8. BAKE in a hot 220°C (430°F) oven for 4 - 5 minutes until golden and souffle-like.
9. REMOVE from the oven and serve immediately.
Notes and Inspiration
Top with baby spinach and sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan.
Replace mushrooms with lightly sautéed leek for a delicious Leek and Egg White Omelette.
Use leftove egg yolks to make a homemade mayonnaise or custard.
More healthy recipes from Teresa Cutter
Shop The Story
My SuperCharged Eggs sustain lean muscle and support digestion and a healthy immune system. Eggs...
This is my go-to risotto if I need something quick and healthy for dinner after...