Gluten-Free Hot Cross Buns
By Teresa Cutter
What's great about it
An exclusive recipe for The Healthy Chef APP, a wholesome gluten-free yeast free Hot Cross Bun that’s made with extra virgin olive oil. I adore the versatility of olive oil. It’s a lovely heat-stable and all-purpose oil, so it’s great for baking.
Makes 12 buns
240 g ( 8 1/2 oz / 2 cups) buckwheat flour
200 g (7 oz / 2 cups) almond meal
3 tablespoons golden flaxseed meal
3 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
125 ml (4 oz / 1/2 cup) extra virgin olive oil
250 ml (8 ¾ fl oz / 1 cup) almond milk or rice milk
60 ml (2 fl oz / ¼ cup) organic maple syrup or honey
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
250 g (8 ¾ oz) blueberries (fresh or frozen) or raisins if you want to go traditional
Melted dark chocolate for piping crosses (use 80% dark chocolate or make your own from my Healthy Baking Cookbook)
- PREHEAT your oven to 160°C fan forced (320°F).
- COMBINE buckwheat flour, almond meal, cinnamon, flaxseed and baking powder in a bowl.
- COMBINE olive oil, almond milk, maple syrup and vanilla into a separate bowl.
- ADD the wet ingredients to the flour mix.
- MIX through gently until a sticky dough forms. What will happen is that the dough will thicken and absorb all the moisture from the almond milk as it rests. I normally like to rest my dough for 5 - 10 minutes before adding blueberries.
- ADD blueberries and give the dough one more brief mix – it should be lovely and sticky with the blueberries distributed throughout. Now remember you can use both fresh or frozen blueberries to make these buns.
- SCOOP out into rounds using an ice cream scoop onto a lined baking tray.
- BRUSH the top with a little extra almond milk.
- BAKE for 35 - 45 minutes until cooked through and golden brown.
- COOL and pipe over the crosses using melted dark chocolate.
- ENJOY on it's own or topped with Blueberry + Chia Jam and Healthy Chef Gingersnap Chai Tea.
Notes and Inspiration
Add other chai tea soaked dried fruits such as organic apricots, sultanas, cranberries or raisins.
Try my healthy Hot Cross Muffins HERE.