Gluten-Free Hot Cross Buns
By Teresa Cutter
What's great about it
A delicious recipe from The Healthy Chef APP. A wholesome gluten-free, yeast-free Hot Cross Bun that’s made with extra virgin olive oil. I adore the versatility of olive oil. It’s a lovely heat-stable and all-purpose oil, so it’s great for baking.
Makes 12 buns
240 g ( 8 1/2 oz / 2 cups) buckwheat flour
200 g (7 oz / 2 cups) almond meal
3 tablespoons golden flaxseed meal
3 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
125 ml (4 oz / 1/2 cup) extra virgin olive oil
250 ml (8 ¾ fl oz / 1 cup) almond milk or rice milk + a little extra if needed
60 ml (2 fl oz / ¼ cup) organic maple syrup or honey
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
250 g (8 ¾ oz) blueberries (fresh or frozen) or raisins and dried apricots if you want to go traditional
Melted dark chocolate for piping crosses (use 80% dark chocolate
- PREHEAT your oven to 160°C fan forced (320°F).
- COMBINE buckwheat flour, almond meal, cinnamon, flaxseed and baking powder in a bowl.
- COMBINE olive oil, almond milk, maple syrup and vanilla into a separate bowl.
- ADD the wet ingredients to the flour mix.
- MIX through gently until a sticky dough forms. What will happen is that the dough will thicken and absorb all the moisture from the almond milk as it rests. I normally like to rest my dough for 5 - 10 minutes before adding blueberries. Add more milk if required...the dough needs to be soft and sticky.
- ADD blueberries and give the dough one more brief mix – it should be lovely and sticky with the blueberries distributed throughout. Now remember you can use both fresh or frozen blueberries to make these buns. I also love using raisins and apricots that have been hydrated in hot water then drained, for a more hot cross bun traditional recipe.
- SCOOP out into rounds using an ice cream scoop onto a lined baking tray.
- BRUSH the top with a little extra almond milk.
- BAKE for 45 minutes until cooked through and golden brown.
- COOL and pipe over the crosses using melted dark chocolate.
- ENJOY on it's own or topped with Blueberry + Chia Jam.
Notes and Inspiration
Add other chai tea soaked dried fruits such as organic apricots, sultanas, cranberries or raisins.
Try my healthy Hot Cross Muffins HERE.