Healthy Chocolate Cake
By Teresa Cutter
What's great about it
This Valentine's Day, enjoy the decadence without guilt! This is my healthy take on the traditional red velvet chocolate cake - perfect for spoiling loved ones. It’s one of my favourite recipes of all time and is featured in Purely Delicious, and as a celebration cake in Healthy Baking.
500 g (18 1/2 oz) beetroot, grated raw with skin
4 free-range eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
Pinch of sea salt
380 g (13 1/4 oz) almond meal
60 g (2 oz / 1/2 cup) Healthy Chef Naked Chocolat or cocoa powder
125 ml (4 fl oz / 1/2 cup) pure maple syrup
125 ml (4 fl oz / 1/2 cup) olive oil
3 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder (or 1/4 teaspoon baking soda)
2 ripe avocados, skin and stone removed
60 g (2 oz / 1/2 cup) Healthy Chef Naked Chocolat Dark or raw cacao
6 fresh dates, pitted
125 ml (4 fl oz / 1/2 cup) coconut cream
60 ml (2 fl oz / 1/4 cup) cold-pressed coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract
Pinch of sea salt
- PREHEAT your oven to 160°C (320°F).
- COMBINE raw grated beetroot, eggs, vanilla, salt, almond meal, Naked Chocolat, maple syrup, oil and baking powder in a large bowl.
- MIX well with a wooden spoon or your hands until combined.
- SPOON into paper-lined cake tin.
- BAKE for 45 minutes or until cooked through.
- REMOVE from the oven and cool completely in the tin.
- SERVE topped with your choice of frosting!
- COMBINE avocado, Naked Chocolat, dates, coconut cream, coconut oil, vanilla and sea salt.
- BLEND until smooth and creamy.
Notes and Inspiration
Top with raspberries to add an extra layer of deliciousness to the dining experience.
I love to serve with thick Greek Style yoghurt, coconut yoghurt or a simple dollop of mascarpone or whipped ricotta.
For a yummy cashew nut cream, combine 1 cup of raw cashew nuts or macadamia nuts with 1/2 cup of water or orange juice and a little vanilla. Blend in a good high-speed blender until smooth and creamy.
For a creamy cheesecake-style frosting, combine 250 g (9oz) soft cream cheese such as quark with a little lemon zest, juice, vanilla and a little maple syrup or honey to taste. Beat well until combined and creamy.