My Goodness Soup
What's great about it
This is a wholesome nourishing soup that I love to make when I need extra goodness for my body. It's very economical and fuss free to make and I always cook up extra to last several meals. I love the simplicity of the ingredients and the light touch of star anise just makes this soup purely magical on the taste buds.
4 organic skinless and boneless chicken thighs - about 650 g
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 brown onions, chopped
2 litres filtered water
3 star anise
1/2 teaspoon crushed peppercorns
1 bunch flat leaf kale - cavolo nero or Tuscan black cabbage
1/4 Savoy Cabbage, finely shredded
1 - 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- Sauté the onions in 1 tablespoon olive oil until golden in a large heavy based pot.
- Cut the chicken into bit sized chunks and cook for another 3 - 5 minutes until the thighs are lovely and golden.
- Pour over water and add star anise and peppercorns.
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat.
- Cover and simmer the ingredients over a gentle heat for 1 hour.
- Slice the Tuscan kale and add to the simmering soup along with the Savoy cabbage.
- Stir through and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with 1 - 2 tablespoons of tamari soy sauce.
- Spoon into serving bowls and enjoy.
Notes and Inspiration
Add a little garlic or garlic to the stock before cooking.
Add Brussels Sprouts (finely shredded) in place of the cabbage.