By Teresa Cutter
What's great about it
2 eschalots, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, smashed
1 red capsicum, diced
1 teaspoon ground cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 bunch coriander
1 corn cob
250 g cooked black beans (I used 1 tin organic cooked black beans that were rinsed and drained)
750 g Roma tomatoes, chopped with the skin
Pinch of sea salt, black pepper
Flaked chilli-optional if you want a little heat
1 - 2 avocados
Greek style yoghurt to serve
Sunflower crackers, organic tortilla chips or baked sweet potato chips to serve.
- Sauté the eschallots and garlic in 1 tablespoon olive oil for a minute over a medium heat.
- Add capsicum, cumin powder and smoked paprika and cook through for another minute.
- Add 1/4 cup of water and tomatoes and mix through.
- Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes or until tomatoes have collapsed and starting to form a rich fragrant sauce.
- Remove kernels from the corn with a knife and add to simmering tomatoes along with the black beans.
- Season with salt and pepper and a pinch of chilli if you want a little heat.
- At this stage, you can add a small splash of water if needed to keep the beans moist.
- Fold through chopped coriander and taste.
- Serve with avocado wedges, limes and thick yoghurt.
Notes and Inspiration
I often make this recipe for a casual weekday dinner and serve straight from the pan topped with chunks of avocado, lime and a dollop of thick yoghurt. You can serve them as is, or accompany with organic corn tortillas or a large leafy side salad.
More healthy recipes from Teresa Cutter
Shop The Story
Shop The Story
This delicious vegan recipe is from my #1 bestselling ebook VEGAN and my award winning cookbook Purely Delicious. The...