Orange Blossom Cake
What's great about it
This delicious orange cake makes a nice change from typical store bought and cafe style orange cakes that are generally high in refined white flour and sugar. I've used whole sweet naval oranges to make this gorgeous cake - skin and all. You steam them until soft then combine with vanilla, almonds and honey that creates magic.
1 - 2 whole sweet oranges (350 g total) use the whole orange - skin and all.
3 organic eggs
125 g honey (raw or manuka) this should be about ¼ - ? cup (see notes)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or paste
1 teaspoon baking powder
200 g (2 cups) almond meal
- Preheat your oven to 160°C.
- Steam or boil whole oranges for 1 hour until soft - drain and allow to cool.
- Roughly chop steamed or boiled whole oranges and place into a food processor.
- Process until smooth.
- Add eggs, honey and vanilla then process again until smooth and creamy.
- Add almond meal and baking powder then process again for the last time.
- Line a 20 cm baking tin with baking paper on the base and sides.
- Spoon orange cake batter into the tin and smooth over with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until cooked through and golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 1 hour before removing from the tin.
- Enjoy this flourless orange cake as is or top with caramelised oranges and lush coconut or lush natural yoghurt.
Notes and Inspiration
Organic maple syrup or brown rice syrup can be used in place of the honey.
Serve alone or with lush natural yoghurt or coconut yoghurt.
Add a little fresh grated ginger.
Use mandarins in place of oranges.
Vegan option - omit eggs and add 60 g macadamia nut oil - bake for about 1 hour and allow to cool overnight in the fridge.