Pumpkin Pie With Oatmeal Gingersnap Shortcrust
What's great about it
I love making pumpkin pie. The crust needs to be just the right balance of flaky and melt in the mouth. The filling - not too sweet, just velvety and smooth with aromatics of ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg tantalising every bite. This recipe is from my new cookbook Purely Delicious and is full of potassium-rich pumpkin which helps restore the body’s balance of electrolytes and supports heart and muscle function. Cinnamon helps stabilise blood sugar levels as well as helps to boost brain function.
Oatmeal Gingersnap Shortcrust (see notes for gluten free)
Use 1 x 20 cm pie tin (7 1/2 inch)
200g (2 cups) organic rolled oats
50 g (1/2 cup) organic desiccated coconut
60 g cultured butter or your choice of (coconut or macadamia nut oil)
2 tbsp organic maple syrup or honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger or 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
450g (2 cups) roasted cinnamon pumpkin
3 fresh pitted dates or 2 tablespoons honey or organic maple syrup
3 organic / free range eggs
Pinch sea salt
1 tsp ground cinnmon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Pinch of nutmeg
1 cup organic coconut or pure cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or paste
- Combine crust ingredients into a bowl and mix well until combined. The longer you mix the better as this will achieve a softer oatmeal dough that binds perfectly.
- Rest for 15 minutes.
- Press your oatmeal crust into a 20 cm pie shell and set aside to prepare the filling.
- Blend roasted pumpkin with the dates or honey, eggs, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cream and vanilla.
- Pour into your pie shell.
- Bake in a preheated 180°C oven for 45 minutes.
- Cool for at least 2 hours and enjoy warm or cold.
Notes and Inspiration
Try my Pumpkin Pie with Macadamia Nut Shortcrust - it's delicious!
Make a delicious protein rich pumpkin smoothie by blending 1/4 - 1/2 cup roasted pumpkin, 1 frozen banana, 1 cup almond milk, 1 tablespoon Healthy Chef Protein + a little vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg - Purely Delicious
Spelt + Oatmeal Shortcrust (alternative crust recipe) - from my apple pie
Gluten free/Paleo Shortcrust base - see this recipe