Roasted Baby Carrot with Pomegranate, Pistachio + Hummus
What's great about it
This is a simple and easy recipe made from roasted baby carrots served on a bed of fresh-made hummus and scented with a hint of pomegranate dressing. You’ll notice that I don’t add the traditional garlic or cumin to my hummus recipe – the reason is that I find it really overpowers the wonderful fresh flavours in the dish. What you really want to taste is the freshness of citrus, carrot, pomegranate with mild hints of sesame. Chickpeas are high in insoluble fibre that can help lower cholesterol, regulate blood sugar and support healthy digestion. Tahini is made from sesame seeds and is loaded with minerals including copper, manganese, calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc that are essential nutrients for health and vitality.
500 g (17 1/2 oz) baby carrots, washed and trimmed.
2 tablespoons olive oil
60 g (2 oz) pistachio nuts, chopped
1 fresh pomegranate
pinch of sea salt
1 bunch parsley, chopped
250 g (8 3/4 oz) cooked and drained chickpeas
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons tahini
a generous pinch of sea salt
60–80 ml iced water to mix
2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
1 – 2 tablespoon lemon juice to taste
1 tablespoon cold pressed olive oil
Combine pomegranate, lemon juice and olive oil into a small bowl or glass jar and mix until smooth and combined.
To make the hummus
- Combine chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, sea salt and 60 ml of water in a food processor or blender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add a splash more water whilst blending if necessary to achieve a light, smooth and creamy texture.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Store covered in the fridge until needed.
Roast your carrots
- Preheat your oven to 180 C / 356 F.
- Combine carrots, olive oil and sea salt
- Lay onto a large baking dish.
- Roast for 30 – 40 minutes until tender and caramelised.
- Remove from the oven.
- To serve
- Spread hummus onto a serving plate or board.
- Arrange carrots over the hummus.
- Garnish with pistachio and chopped parsley. Fresh pomegranate jewels are also delicious scattered over this wonderful salad
- Drizzle over pomegranate dressing and serve. Enjoy.