What's great about it
The salmon burger is probably one of my favourite meals I love to make at home. These burgers are featured in my cookbook Purely Delicious. Salmon is a great source of omega 3 fatty acids that are anti-inflammatory to the body and critical for good health. Omega-3s support the body’s health in every way and are vital in the fight against diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Omega-3s also help to lower cholesterol, reduce high blood pressure, nourish the immune system and reduce symptoms of arthritis and depression.
500 g (1 lb 2oz) fresh raw skinless and boneless salmon fillet, chopped
1 small bunch chopped parsley
2 spring onions (scallions), sliced
zest and juice from 1 lemon
a good grind of pepper and a little sea salt
1 organic egg
50 g (1 3/4 oz / 1/2 cup) almond meal to coat (optional)
- Combine the salmon, spring onion, parsley, lemon zest, juice, egg and a little salt and pepper into a food processor.
- Process until well combined.
- Remove and shape into 8 burgers.
- Coat them lightly with the almond meal if using and rest in the fridge for 15 minutes to help them firm up.
- Cook the burgers in a pan over a low - medium heat with a splash of olive oil until crisp, golden and cooked through.
- Serve with your choice of steamed greens, roasted sweet potato or leafy greens.
Notes and Inspiration
TO MAKE SALMON BURGERS FROM TINNED SALMON:
185 g (61/2 oz) tin wild salmon drained
1 organic egg
1 spring onion, sliced
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
Combine the salmon, egg, parsley and spring onion, then season with freshly ground black pepper. Have a look at your mix and test cook a batch to see it holds together when cooked. Add another egg if needed.
Place spoonfuls of the salmon mixture into a pan and cook over a medium heat with a splash of olive oil for 1 - 2 minutes each side until golden
These burgers keep for 2 - 3 days in the fridge after cooking. They are also delicious thrown into your lunch time salad for an added protein hit.on mixture into a pan and cook over a medium heat with a splash of olive oil for 1 - 2 minutes each side until golden.
I often serve them with oven roasted sweet potato or a salad made from shaved fennel, rocket, lemon and cold pressed olive oil.