Spinach, Kale + Chia Muffins
What's great about it
This is a delicious savoury breakfast from my bestselling book Healthy Baking. Bursting with superfoods and protein, these muffins will keep you satisfied and full of energy all morning. Top with smashed avocado, matcha salt and micro greens. Quinoa is a complete protein, which means that it contains all the essential amino acids that the body needs for growth and repair. The addition of kale and baby spinach in this recipe helps to provide fibre, antioxidants and restorative minerals, while the eggs and almond meal provide additional protein to keep you satisfied until lunch time.
Makes 6 - 12 muffins
100 g (3 ½ oz) kale or cavolo nero leaves, finely sliced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
60 g (2 oz) baby spinach leaves
1 small bunch chopped chives
280 g (9 ¾ oz / 2 cups) cooked quinoa
3 organic eggs
1 tablespoon chia seeds or golden flaxseeds
200 g (7 oz / 2 cups) almond meal
2 avocados, smashed
2 tablespoons lemon juice
pinch of sea salt
2 tablespoons of cold-pressed avocado or extra virgin olive oil
1 handful sprouts or micro greens
- Preheat your oven to 180°C fan-forced (360°F).
- Massage kale leaves with the oil and sea salt for 3 minutes until softened.
- Add baby spinach, chives and cooked quinoa.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl and then add the chia seeds.
- Pour the egg mixture over the leafy greens along with the almond meal and mix through until combined.
- Spoon the batter into lined muffin cups and bake for 30 – 40 minutes until cooked through and golden.
- Combine smashed avocado with lime juice and 2 tablespoons of cold-pressed olive oil.
- Pile over the top of the savoury muffins.
- I've lightly sprinkled the avocado with sea salt, however I also love a fancy touch and combine 1 teaspoon sea salt with 1/2 teaspoon of Matcha Green Tea which adds a boost of antioxidants and sophistication.
- Garnish with sprouts or micro herbs and enjoy.
Notes and Inspiration
Add feta cheese before baking or add some roasted sweet potato.
Add a 1/2 teaspoon of Healthy Chef Matcha to your matcha salt before sprinkling over smashed avocado.