By Teresa Cutter
What's great about it
Nutritious, delicious and power packed with goodness! Here is a yummy vegetarian based curry that I love to make when I need healthy comfort food to feed my body. It's loaded with goodness and packed with vegetables and anti-inflammatory spices that are slowly simmered until tender. Yellow split peas are very good source of cholesterol-lowering fibre that helps to lower cholesterol and stabilise blood sugar. They are also packed with protein, minerals and isoflavones, which are helpful in reducing the risk of certain diseases.
3/4 cup yellow split peas, soaked overnight + drained
500 g pumpkin, chopped
250 g sweet potato, chopped with skin
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
1 onion chopped
2 garlic cloves, smashed
1 bunch coriander (leaves and stalks chopped separately)
2 celery stalks, cut into small dice
2 medium carrots, grated
1 tsp ground turmeric or 2 tablespoons grated fresh turmeric
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoon mirin
1 heaped tablespoon yellow miso + 4 tablespoons water to mix
1 handful coriander or flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Sauté onion, ginger, garlic, celery, finely chopped coriander stalks + carrot in a large pot for 3 minutes.
- Add turmeric and cinnamon and cook for another minute.
- Add drained split peas and 8 cups water.
- Simmer for 1 hour over a low heat.
- Add sweet potato and pumpkin and continue cooking for 40 minutes until tender, adding a little more water if necessary.
- Add miso, mirin, a squeeze of lime and coriander leaf.
- Season with a generous amount of fresh cracked pepper.
- Taste and adjust according to your palate, adding a little more lime etc.
- Serve in bowls topped with micro herbs and enjoy.
More healthy recipes from Teresa Cutter
Shop The Story
Shop The Story
This delicious vegan recipe is from my #1 bestselling ebook VEGAN and my award winning cookbook Purely Delicious. The...
This recipe for Ribollita is from my Purely Delicious cookbook and Healthy Chef Recipes App. I...