Food is one of the most powerful tools we have to help prevent disease, and a healthy body begins with a healthy immune system. It maintains homeostasis by defending against viruses and bacteria, which can cause inflammation in the body, illness and disease.
Our body also produces antibodies that can help destroy the virus and assist our body to heal. Nutritional deficiencies can impair immune function, increasing both the risk and severity of the infection. Vitamin C, for example, acts as your personal bodyguard, helping to protect cells and assist in healing. There are also studies of vitamin C use in facilitating the faster recovery of the common cold. It’s pretty much destroyed in cooking, so you need to consume it fresh.
Fresh whole fruit and veggies are the best sources of vitamins and minerals around, which is why it’s so important to eat a good variety every day. I make restorative smoothies, juices, and soups from fresh fruits, vegetables, quality protein, and herbs with this in mind. These provide me with a concentrated source of nutrients that the body can easily absorb. I include anti-inflammatory ingredients such as garlic, ginger, lemongrass and turmeric, which play a starring role. Garlic, turmeric and ginger are potent herbs that help the body eliminate toxins, stimulate circulation, aid digestion and boost immune function.
There are several simple prevention techniques you can easily do to help keep colds + flu at bay:
1. Washing your hands regularly to help prevent any transfer of bacteria.
2. Staying clear of people sneezing or coughing.
3. Getting enough rest and sleep to help your body repair and recover, not to compromise your immune function.
4. Eating your fruit and vegetables daily because they are high in antioxidants and minerals can help fight off free radicals in the body that can cause illness.
5. Eating enough quality protein to help nourish your immune system, repair the body and assist recovery.
HEALTHY CHEF IMMUNE BOOSTING SUPERFOODS:
- Naturally occurring vitamin C from orange, Camu Camu, berries and Acerola
- A plant-based source of bioavailable vitamin D
- Anti-inflammatory ingredients, including ginger, turmeric, Rosehip and Terminalia
- Healing herbs Echinacea, Andrographis and Astragalus
- The first and only WPI in Australia suitable for people who are lactose intolerant
- Made from grass-fed dairy (not cheese like other powders), it contains 25% more protein and amino acids than other protein supplements.
- Uniquely absorbed thanks to the inclusion of naturally occurring digestive enzymes.
- Ideal for assisting with sports recovery, weight management and promoting healthy skin + essential for immune function.
- Loaded with superfood antioxidants to help increase alkalinity and promote healing.
- Rich with naturally occurring essential vitamins + minerals, and phytonutrients.
- A great source of antioxidants (each serve measures at 10,000+ inactivity by ORAC).
- Rich in anthocyanins that work as an anti-inflammatory in the body.
- Perfect recovery formula after exercise to replenish fluid and electrolytes.
OTHER IMMUNE BOOSTING SUPERFOODS INCLUDE:
Garlic is anti-fungal and antibacterial properties to help fight against infection.
Ginger helps promote gastric motility and works as an anti-inflammatory.
Turmeric is a natural antiviral with potent anti-inflammatory properties, high in curcumin, a powerful antioxidant.
Manuka honey works as an antibacterial to help fight virus and bacteria.
Citrus is rich in vitamin C that helps support and nourish your immune system.
Papaya is rich in beta-carotene to help protect against infection.
Fermented foods – rich in probiotics to help protect our digestive and immune systems.