Banana Bread (Gluten-Free)
By Teresa Cutter
What's great about it
This makes a nice change from typical store bought and cafe style banana breads that are generally high in refined white flour, sugar and saturated fats. I love using macadamia nut oil when baking, it's a delicious source of monounsaturated fats that can help support good health and wellbeing. It's yummy on its own or topped with a little ricotta + honey.
300 g ripe banana
3 organic eggs
60 g honey or organic maple syrup
60 ml macadamia nut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon lemon juice
200 g almond meal
25 g ground flaxseed (linseed)
- Preheat your oven to 160°C - fan forced.
- Combine smashed banana, honey, oil, cinnamon, vanilla, eggs, baking soda, and lemon (the lemon activates the baking soda). You can do this by hand in a large bowl or with a good blender such as a Vitamix.
- Add the almond meal and flaxseed and mix well.
- Lightly oil one loaf tin and then coat liberally with an extra almond meal or desiccated coconut - this will prevent the cake from sticking. The size I used was: 10 1/2 cm wide and 26 cm long.
- Spoon batter into the tin and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour (a skewer inserted into the centre should come out dry).
- Cover the top with foil if over-browning.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before turning out the loaf.
- Keeps in the fridge covered for up to 1 week.
Notes and Inspiration
Ricotta + Honey
Plain + Simple
Sliced banana + blueberry + raw honey
I love to decorate the top of my banana bread before baking with sliced banana or a handful of chopped walnuts and a light sprinkle of cinnamon.
To pump up the protein - Add 2 tablespoons of my Healthy Chef WPI or Organic Pea in place of the flaxseed.
More healthy recipes from Teresa Cutter
Shop The Story
Shop The Story
One of my favourite breads of all time is banana bread. I bake lots of...