Quinoa With Roasted Pumpkin, Zucchini and Basil Pesto
By Teresa Cutter
What's great about it
I love making this delicious gluten-free recipe from my bestselling book Purely Delicious. It's a favourite in my home and any leftovers are quickly devoured the next day for lunch or another dinner. Quinoa is gluten-free and has a low GI of 53, it is a complete protein which means that it contains all the essential amino acids that the body needs for repair. Pumpkin is low GI, a good source of fibre that will fill you up without blowing you out. Greens such as fresh parsley and basil are full of superfood goodness to nourish the digestive system, support detoxification and elimination.
600 g / 21 oz pumpkin, cut into large chunks
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 red onion, cut into wedges
6 baby zucchini, sliced
1 lemon, juiced
small bunch parsley chopped
1 - 2 tablespoons dairy free vegan pesto depending on your taste
Vegan feta cheese to serve (optional) or goats feta or crumbed tofu
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Combine pumpkin and red onion and drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Season with ground pepper and a little cinnamon.
- Roast for 30 - 40 minutes or until pumpkin is tender.
- Saute the zucchini lightly in a pan over the stove. You don't really want to roast this as they only take 2 - 3 minutes to quickly cook in a pan. Season lightly and set aside.
- Remove vegetables from the oven.
- Add the quinoa, zucchini, parsley, lemon juice and pesto.
- Serve on its own or garnish with garden herbs and vegan or other feta of your choice.
- Spoon into serving bowls and enjoy.
Notes and Inspiration
Add extra vegetables such as baby spinach or sauteed kale.
More healthy recipes from Teresa Cutter
Shop The Story
Shop The Story
This delicious vegan recipe is from my #1 bestselling ebook VEGAN and my award winning cookbook Purely Delicious. The...
Quinoa is one of the most delicious, gluten-free, high protein seeds out there. This power-packed...