Smashed Berry + Vanilla Jam
By Teresa Cutter
What's great about it
One of my favourite things to make this time of year is my purely delicious smashed berry and vanilla jam. I love serving it in so many different ways like spooning over fresh made ricotta and serving with organic sourdough or enjoying a spoonful with lush organic yoghurt and healthy chef protein for a quick milkshake; I even love making a fabulous Christmas trifle with spoonfuls of smashed berry jam, fresh coconut cream and almond crumble.
Makes 1 jar
500 g (17 1/2 oz) strawberries, washed with stalks removed
300 g (10 1/2 oz) raspberries
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste / extract or pods from 1/2 vanilla bean
2 fresh dates, pitted or a little stevia
2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Combine 250 g (8 1/2 oz) strawberries, vanilla and dates into a high performance blender like a Vitamix.
- Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust sweetness if necessary. I love it a little tart and less sweet.
- Spoon the strawberry puree into a bowl.
- Add the chia seed and mix through.
- Smash the raspberries and add to the strawberry puree.
- Dice the other 250 g (8 1/2 oz) of strawberries then add to the strawberry puree.
- Allow the berry jam to settle and develop for 30 minutes in your refrigerator.
- Serve any way you love – it’s Purely Delicious!
Notes and Inspiration
Add 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses to the jam.
Add other berries such as blueberries, goji or black berries.
Add the zest and a little juice of 1/2 orange.
Use manuka honey in place of dates.
Spoon onto fresh ricotta that is spread onto warm toasted sourdough.
Fill berry and vanilla jam in between a home made vanilla sponge cake made from organic eggs.
Use for your next trifle and serve with home made organic custard.
Add a spoonful into your bircher muesli and serve with banana and blueberry and almonds.
Spoon over fresh made ricotta pancakes and serve with lush bio yoghurt.