Massaged Kale Salad
What's great about it
What I love about this salad is that it keeps really well for days in the fridge so it's the perfect meal to pack into a lunchbox. There is a secret to a great kale salad and such a great vegetable requires great respect. The leaves need to be washed and shredded finely. They then need to be massaged - yes you need to massage the leaves tenderly which helps to soften and wilt the leaves. It is now ready for aromatics such as mint and parsley then a generous scattering of pomegranate and goji that adds a hint of sweetness. I also love to add extra goodness such as pumpkin seeds and walnuts that also give this salad an amazing texture.
500 g fresh kale (approx 2 large bunches or 17 1/2 oz))
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons cold pressed olive oil or flaxseed oil
4 spring onions, finely sliced
1 bunch mint, chopped
1 bunch parsley, chopped
2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
1 pomegranate (see how to peel a pomegranate)
2 tablespoons goji berries
1 cup micro greens (optional)
1. Remove tough stems from the kale leaves and wash well.
2. Shred finely and place into a large bowl.
3. Combine pepper, salt, lemon juice, olive oil into a small bowl or cup.
4. Mix the dressing ingredients well then pour over the shredded kale leaves.
5. Combine the dressing with the kale until mixed through.
6. Add some love and start to massage the leaves gently for about 2 – 3 minutes. The leaves will slowly start to soften and wilt, relaxing the kale so so that the leaves become wonderfully tender.
7. Add the spring onion, parsley, mint, pumpkin seed, pomegranate, goji berry and micro greens.
8. Toss through gently and taste to adjust any flavours if necessary or add any other boosters.
9. Divide between serving bowls and enjoy or store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Notes and Inspiration
Add 1 x avocado – anti-inflammatory and rich in vitamin E, an antioxidant that helps to protect against free radicals.
Add 1 tablespoon ground linseeds or walnuts – high omega 3 for heart and brain health.
Add your favourite protein sources. I love adding scattering more nuts, seeds such as flaxseed or chia, LSA or goats feta.