A Raw Chocolate Cake for Valentine's Day
By Teresa Cutter
What's great about it
This delicious no-bake, one-bowl cake is so easy to make and is bursting with feel-good nutrients and powerful superfoods. The perfect cake to make on Valentine's Day or any special occasion for the ultimate guilt-free chocolate indulgence.
Makes 1 cake
500 g (16 oz) raw walnuts
4 heaped tablespoons raw cacao
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
20 fresh medjool dates, pitted
Zest from 1 orange + a little juice or a few drops of orange oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 ripe avocados, skin and stone removed
6 fresh dates, pitted or ¼ cup organic maple syrup
½ cup cacao powder
60 ml (2 fl oz / 1/4 cup) water or almond milk or coconut milk
60 ml (2 fl oz / 1/4 cup) cold-pressed coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract
Pinch of sea salt
Extra water to mix if needed
1. Combine walnuts, cocoa powder, cinnamon and sea salt.
2. Process until ground and add dates, orange zest and vanilla.
3. Process again until combined and spoon into a mixing bowl.
4. Add the juice of half to one orange then mix through until combined.
5. Press cake into a 15 cm (6 inches) small round baking tin – springform is the best. I normally line the cake tin with baking paper or plastic wrap first so I can easily remove the cake afterwards.
6. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to overnight.
7. Remove cake from the tin.
8. Combine chocolate frosting ingredients together in a high-speed blender such as a Vitamix until creamy.
9. Spread over the cake and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
Notes and Inspiration
Fold through freeze dried raspberries before pressing into the cake tin.