FLOURLESS BANANA MUFFINS
By Teresa Cutter
What's great about it
My flourless banana muffins rock! They are featured in my latest cookbook HEALTHY BAKING and are gluten free, nut free and extremely low in sugar, making them perfect for everyone. These muffins are simple to make - all you need to do is throw the ingredients into a Vitamix and blend before spooning into muffin cups to bake. Perfect served with a pot of Healthy Chef Rise + Shine Breakfast Tea.
Bananas are a terrific energy food and a great source of potassium, an essential mineral for maintaining normal blood pressure and heart function. They add moisture and sweetness to baked goods, which means you can reduce the amount of sweetener and oil considerably. Coconut flour is packed with soluble fibre that is great for healthy digestion and helping to lower cholesterol. The chia seeds/flaxseeds pump up the omega 3 in these muffins.
400 g (14 oz) ripe bananas
4 fresh dates, pitted
6 organic eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
60 ml (2 fl oz/ 1/4 cup) cold pressed olive oil or coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
70 g (1/2 cup/ 2 1/2 oz) coconut flour
30 g (1 oz/1/4 ) chia seeds or ground golden flaxseeds
- PREHEAT oven to 160 C fan-forced (320F)
- COMBINE bananas, dates, coconut oil, cinnamon, vanilla, eggs and baking powder into a Vitamix or blender until combined.
- ADD the coconut flour and chia seeds and mix through.
- REST for 10 minutes to allow the chia and coconut flour to expand in the batter.
- SPOON batter into 12 lined muffin tins.
- BAKE for 35 - 40 minutes.
Notes and Inspiration
Serve with a pot of Healthy Chef Rise + Shine Breakfast Tea.
Wonderful spread with silky tahini and a drizzle of honey or rice malt syrup.