Banana Bread (Gluten-Free)
What's great about it
This makes a nice change from typical store bought and cafe style banana breads that are generally high in refined white flour, sugar and saturated fats. I love using macadamia nut oil when baking, it's a delicious source of monounsaturated fats that can help support good health and wellbeing. It's yummy on its own or topped with a little ricotta + honey.
300 g ripe banana
3 organic eggs
60 g honey or organic maple syrup
60 ml macadamia nut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon lemon juice
200 g almond meal
25 g ground flaxseed (linseed)
- Preheat your oven to 160°C - fan forced.
- Combine smashed banana, honey, oil, cinnamon, vanilla, eggs, baking soda, and lemon (the lemon activates the baking soda). You can do this by hand in a large bowl or with a good blender such as a Vitamix.
- Add the almond meal and flaxseed and mix well.
- Lightly oil one loaf tin and then coat liberally with an extra almond meal or desiccated coconut - this will prevent the cake from sticking. The size I used was: 10 1/2 cm wide and 26 cm long.
- Spoon batter into the tin and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour (a skewer inserted into the centre should come out dry).
- Cover the top with foil if over-browning.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before turning out the loaf.
- Keeps in the fridge covered for up to 1 week.
Notes and Inspiration
Ricotta + Honey
Plain + Simple
Sliced banana + blueberry + raw honey
I love to decorate the top of my banana bread before baking with sliced banana or a handful of chopped walnuts and a light sprinkle of cinnamon.
To pump up the protein - Add 2 tablespoons of my Healthy Chef WPI or Organic Pea in place of the flaxseed.