Green Pea Fritters
By Teresa Cutter
What's great about it
This is a wonderful meal you can whip up in around 10 minutes. What I love about these delicious green pea fritters is that you can also take any leftovers to work the next day and enjoy them cold or warm with a side salad of leafy greens, a squeeze of lemon and cold pressed olive oil.
300 g (10 1/2 oz) green peas (if using frozen, make sure to defrost first)
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
2 organic / free range eggs
zest 1 lemon
150 g (5 1/4 oz) ricotta (deli style – good quality)
1 1/2 tablespoons coconut flour (see notes)
Pinch of sea salt and pepper
- Smash the green peas roughly either by hand or by using a blender or food processor. Make sure to keep it chunky as this is not a puree.
- Combine the smashed peas into a bowl with parsley, egg, lemon zest and coconut flour. The coconut flour will thicken the mix and allow it to hold it's shape when cooking.
- Season with salt and pepper then taste to check.
- Add the ricotta last, smashing it through the pea fritter batter – make sure to leave nice chunky bits of ricotta through the mix.
- Heat a pan over a low heat with a little olive oil.
- Cook spoonfuls of pea fritter mixture much as you would pikelets or small pancakes. You should get about 6 green pea fritters.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon and enjoy.
Notes and Inspiration
REMEMBER - It’s important to cook them over a low gentle heat on each side until golden and cooked through.
You can also accompany with leafy greens or steamed vegetables and cold pressed olive oil and lemon to drizzle.
Coconut flour is available from most health food stores. It can also be replaced with other gluten free flours such as almond meal or brown rice flour. Quantities of almond meal or rice flour will need to double – just enough so that the fritter will hold it’s shape when cooked.
For dairy-free fritters - omit the ricotta all together.
More healthy recipes from Teresa Cutter
Shop The Story
One of the most popular dishes on Kamalaya’s Detox Menu is the Mung Bean Risotto....
This cauliflower fried rice is one of my favourite meals to make at home and...