Homemade Creamed Corn w/ Sunny Side Egg
By Teresa Cutter
What's great about it
I'm loving this recipe at the moment. Perfect for a simple, quick and budget friendly brunch or dinner. I love to top mine with a crisp fried sunny side egg and grate over a generous amount of Parmesan just before I serve it. This beats store bought versions hands down and it tastes so much better. I like to add a little cultured butter as it rounds out the flavour and gives it a smoother, richer mouthfeel. This power packed meal is purely delicious and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
750 g (26 oz) Sweet corn kernels (approx 6 corn kernels)
250 ml (8.5 fl oz) corn-stock or water (see recipe in method)
1 shallot, finely diced
sea salt and pepper to taste
1 - 2 tablespoons cultured butter
fresh micro herbs or chives to garnish
organic eggs to serve – use one per serve
freshly grated parmesan to serve
1 loaf wholegrain sourdough or my seeded soda spelt bread
- Slice kernels from the corn cobs and set aside.
- Place cobs into a pot and cover with 1.5 litres water then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes – at the end you will have the most amazing corn broth!
- Season corn broth with a little sea salt and set aside.
- Combine corn kernels, 250 ml corn stock and diced shallot into a pot.
- Cover and simmer until tender (about 12 minutes).
- Turn off the heat and transfer the sweet corn to a food processor with the rest of the stock.
- Pulse the machine with the butter until coarsely chopped and blended. Add a touch more corn stock if needed – it’s important to make the creamed corn look moist and loose, much like a risotto….and not too stiff.
- Transfer corn back into the pot and heat gently.
- Serve piled onto wholegrain sourdough toast and top with crisp sunny side egg.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and a fine grating of parmesan and enjoy.