Irish Soda Spelt Bread
By Teresa Cutter
What's great about it
I've been in the mood for baking over the last week and today I made my favourite wholemeal spelt Soda bread to go with a roast pumpkin soup we were having for dinner. My soda bread is easy to make and has a subtle sweetness and density that goes with just about anything sweet or savoury. Wholemeal spelt has a higher amino acid profile than regular wheat flours, it's also higher in fibre with a low GI for sustained energy. You can get spelt flour in most supermarkets theses days or in your local health food store.
500 g wholemeal spelt flour
½ cup (50g) ground flaxseed (linseed) or chia seed
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda (bicarb soda)
2 cups milk (soy, rice, almond or seed)
1 tablespoon honey
(60 ml) ¼ cup cold pressed olive oil or macadamia nut oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
4 tablespoons seeds (sunflower, sesame, pumpkin)
- Preheat oven to 180°C - 160°C (fan-forced).
- Combine flour, flaxseed, salt and soda then mix through.
- Combine honey, olive oil, lemon and milk.
- Pour over the dry ingredients all at once and mix through lightly with your fingers. The dough should be lovely and moist much like a scone dough.
- Place dough onto a lightly floured board and form into 1 large loaf or 2 smaller round loaves.
- Place onto a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
- Cut a small cross over the top of the bread.
- Brush the top with a little extra milk then sprinkle with seeds.
- Bake for 40 minutes then reduce the heat to 160 and bake for another 10 – 15 minutes until cooked through and the crust is lovely and golden brown. If baking smaller loaves reduce the time to 30 – 40 minutes total.
- Cool for at least 10 minutes before you eat.
Notes and Inspiration
You need to treat this bread much like a scone dough.
Don't kneed it too much, but just slightly enough for it to combine.
Make sure all the dry ingredients are evenly distributed before adding the wet ingredients.
If you overworked the dough, let it rest for 30 minutes.
Spread with hummus, spinach, roasted veggies and salsa verde.
Spread with almond butter and top with banana a little honey.
Delicious spread with avocado and served with roasted pumpkin soup or ribollita.