Kale + Spinach Detox Salad
What's great about it
My kale and spinach salad is something I make on a regular basis. Some of ingredients change, depending on what's available from my green grocer. What I love about it is that it keeps really well for 2 - 3 days in the fridge, so it's perfect to eat for dinner and then again for lunch the next day. Green superfoods such as kale and spinach help to increase alkalinity and detoxification in your body that can promote healing. They are also rich in vitamins A, C and K and folic acid, as well as calcium, potassium, copper and iron. These nutrients are necessary for healthy bones, skin and eyes.
250 g kale (choose from curly kale or Tuscan flat leaf cavolo nero )
4 spring onion, sliced
1 bunch parsley, chopped
1 bunch mint, chopped
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
2 handfuls baby spinach leaves
200 g sprouted mung beans (see notes)
2 oranges, peeled and chopped ( see notes )
1 lemon, juice and zest
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
pinch sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground or fresh turmeric
1 clove fresh chopped garlic
2 tablespoons goji berries (see notes)
2 tablespoons cold pressed EVOO
1. Wash kale and remove the tough inner stem.
2. Shred the leaves and place into a large mixing bowl.
3. Add a little salt, pepper and the juice of 1 lemon plus the olive oil, garlic, ginger and turmeric.
4. Massage the aromatics into the leaves for 1 – 2 minutes or until the kale has slightly collapsed and soffened.
5. Add the spinach, mung beans, orange and goji berry.
6. Toss through gently until they are evenly distributed through the salad.
7. Divide between serving bowls and enjoy.
Notes and Inspiration
Add toasted pine nuts, walnuts or my macadamia nut dukkah for a little crunch and extra goodness.
Add chickpeas and a little good quality Persian or goats feta.
Add chopped avocado.
Swap goji berries with raspberries, pomegranate or blueberries.
Swap orange with lush sweet chunks of pineapple.
Serve with steamed white fish or ocean trout.
Use smashed raspberry dressing.