Healthy Carrot Cake
By Teresa Cutter
What's great about it
This is my ultimate carrot cake featured in my cookbook - Purely Delicious. It's loaded with protein and essential minerals and scented with cinnamon, vanilla bean and a little organic maple syrup. Carrots are the richest source of beta-carotene, which converts to vitamin A in the body. Vitamin A is essential for tissue growth and repair, thyroid function and iron mobilisation. This is a purely delicious and simple one bowl cake a whole family will enjoy. I love to frost my cake with thick Greek style yoghurt.
500 g (17 ½ oz) grated carrots
3 organic eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract or paste
2 teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
350g almond meal
60 ml (2 fl oz) macadamia nut oil or olive oil
½ cup organic maple syrup or 1/4 cup raw organic honey
1 cup fresh blueberries or chai tea soaked and drained raisins
2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
Greek style yoghurt, strained (labna) to serve
— Biggest Loser Aust (@BiggestLoserAU) April 11, 2017
- Preheat your oven to 160°C / 320°F.
- Combine carrot, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, almond meal, oil, honey, soaked raisins and baking powder.
- Mix well until combined.
- Pour into a prepared 20 cm baking tin.
- Bake for 1 – 1 ½ hours or until cooked through.
- Cover, if necessary, with foil.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely in the tin, then turn out.
- Serve alone or topped with Greek style yoghurt or vanilla frosting.
- Keeps in the fridge for up to 5 days – it freezes well too!
Notes and Inspiration
I’ve used thick natural Greek Style yoghurt for my topping, you can also use the following:
Whipped ricotta with a little cinnamon, vanilla and honey.
Cream cheese blended with a little lemon, vanilla + honey.
A dairy-free cream made from 1 cup of raw cashew nuts or macadamias blended with ½ cup of water or orange juice and a little vanilla. Blend in a good quality blender like a Vitamix until smooth and creamy. Allow to sit in the fridge for 30 minutes to thicken slightly. Add a touch more water if you need to thin it down a little.