What's great about it
This is the perfect Mediterranean salad found in my bestselling cookbook Purely Delicious. It is a rich source of omega-3, protein and antioxidants vital for optimum health and vitality. Nicoise is one of those salads that takes just ve minutes to make and is a nutritious and delicious meal for lunch or dinner. If I’m entertaining, I’ll top each portion with a soft poached organic egg in place of the hard-boiled egg.
4 ripe tomatoes, cut into bite-sized chunks
1 Lebanese cucumber, finely sliced
1 shallot or small red onion, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, smashed
1 capsicum (bell pepper), finely sliced
12 black olives
6 Spanish white anchovies
3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and quartered
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
1 whole baby cos (romaine) lettuce, washed and leaves torn
180 g (6 oz) tuna in olive oil, drained
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or raw apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
120 ml (4 oz) cold-pressed olive oil
To make vinaigrette:
- COMBINE vinegar, mustard, sea salt and black pepper. WHISK in the oil until dressing looks creamy.
- TASTE it and store in the refrigerator until needed.
To make salad:
- COMBINE the tomatoes, cucumber, shallot, garlic, capsicum, olives, anchovies and parsley in a bowl.
- ADD 4 tablespoons of the vinaigrette and gently mix through with your fingertips – be gentle.
- ADD cos lettuce leaves and gently toss through.
- FINALLY, add the tuna and eggs and gently fold through, breaking up the tuna as you fold through the leaves.
- ARRANGE in a serving bowl and serve with extra dressing on the side.
- GARNISH with chopped parsley and serve.
Notes and Inspiration
Mix it up! Choose plenty of colours and textures to throw into your salad. Try out asparagus, sprouts, watercress, mushrooms or pumpkin, capsicum and sweet corn.
Make sure to use good quality tuna in olive oil for this recipe.
To help punch up the flavor and add a good dose of phyto-chemicals add some fresh herbs such as parsley, mint or basil.