PURPLE SAUERKRAUT WITH RASPBERRY + THYME
What's great about it
1 kg (32 oz) red cabbage
1 red apple, grated
1 small beetroot, grated
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon sea salt
1/2 cup raspberries or pomegranate jewels
4 sprigs of thyme
Equipment: fermenting pot ot large sterilised glass jar
1. WASH the cabbage and remove the outer leaves.
2. SHREAD the cabbage finely.
3. COMBINE with the apple, beetroot and onion.
4. ADD the salt.
5. LAYER the cabbage mix and salt in your fermenting crock pot or a large glass or ceramic mixing bowl, massaging each layer as you go. As you massage, the cabbage with start to soften and release water. This whole process will take about 15 minutes. There should be about 5 cm (2 inches) of juices on top of the cabbage.
6. FOLD in the berries or pomegranate and thyme leaves. If using a fermenting pot, put the weights on top of the cabbage, submerging it beneath the liquid. Then place the lid on top and follow the manufacturer's instruction.
7. SEAL the jar with a lid and place the sauerkraut in a dark spot at room temperature for 1 week.
8. REFRIDGERATE then enjoy.
Notes and Inspiration
For every 1 kg of red cabbage, use 15 g (1 tablespoon) of unrefined salt. If you don't have a fermenting pot, pack the cabbage tightly into a sterilised jar, pressing down as you pack. The cabbage should be completely submerged in the brine you've created.