How To Roast The Perfect Pumpkin
By Teresa Cutter
What's great about it
Pumpkin is one of my favourite vegetables that I love to cook with and the best way to prepare it is to roast it! Simplicity is the secret to preparing pumpkin - the roasting enhances flavour whilst adding a hint of cinnamon and sea salt adds depth and takes it into another dimension. By perfecting the roasted pumpkin you are able to create and explore new possibilities with healthy meals that will just blow you away. A luscious bowl of soup topped with a green goddess pesto - A glorious salad scented with goats feta and roasted walnuts or a spice kissed pumpkin pie made from coconut and vanilla bean.
1 kg / 2 1/4 pounds pumpkin (I love using Jap / kent pumpkin)
2 tablespoons cold pressed olive oil or your choice macadamia nut or coconut oil
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon sea salt
1. Preheat your oven to 180 C / 356 F.
2. Cut pumpkin into chunks (with or without skin)
3. Drizzle with olive oil.
4. Add cinnamon and sea salt.
5. Massage well with your fingers, coating all the pumpkin.
6. Spread in a single layer onto 1 or 2 prepared baking trays.
7. Roast for 40 – 45 minutes or until the pumpkin is soft and caramelised.
8. Enjoy and use as required.
Notes and Inspiration
It’s a great idea to double the recipe and use for yummy portable salads and winter warming soups.
Pumpkin marries perfectly with other aromatics such as ginger, coriander, sage, orange, nutmeg, vanilla, cloves, cinnamon.