Roasted Beetroot Salad with Fig + Smashed Raspberry Dressing
By Teresa Cutter
What's great about it
I want to share one of my favourite salads of the moment made form roasted beetroot, ripe autumn figs, baby spinach and smashed raspberry dressing scented with pomegranate. I love to eat it simply as is or topped with creamy white goats cheese or Persian feta that rounds out the flavour. Beetroots are packed with phytonutrients called betalains that provide antioxidant and anti-inflammatory support to the body. They are also high in minerals such as calcium and magnesium that help with bone mineralization and muscle contraction.
800 g (28 oz) whole fresh beetroot
100 g (3 1/2 oz) baby spinach leaves or rocket (arugula)
2 fresh figs, ripe
180 g (6 oz) raspberries
2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
ground black pepper and a pinch of sea salt
- PREHEAT your oven to 180°C (360°F).
- CUT off the leaves from the beetroot and wash well with the skin still on.
- WRAP each whole beetroot in foil and place onto a baking tray. Roast for about 45 minutes (large beetroot) or 30 minutes (small beetroot) or until a skewer can easily be inserted through the core.
- REMOVE from the oven and allow to rest in the foil for about 1 hour – this process allows the skin to be removed easily.
- REMOVE the foil and peel the skin off the beetroot with your fingers. (It’s a good idea is to wear disposable gloves, and the beetroot skin should slip off very easily when rubbed gently.)
- CUT beetroot into quarters if large or leave a few whole if small.
- ARRANGE onto a serving platter or large bowl along with baby spinach leaves.
- TOP with fresh figs.
- SMASH raspberries with a fork, setting aside a few whole berries for decoration.
- COMBINE pomegranate molasses, olive oil, sea salt and black pepper. Spoon the dressing over the salad and enjoy.
Notes and Inspiration
Pomegranate molasses is available from all good grocers and supermarkets. Aged balsamic can be used in it's place.
Top with soft goats feta or Persian feta.
More healthy recipes from Teresa Cutter
Shop The Story
Shop The Story
Sweet potatoes are a healthy low GI carb source that’s high in beta-carotene the precursor...