Steel Cut Oats Porridge
What's great about it
The crisp cold weather has inspired me to make one of my favourite breakfasts - Steel Cut Oats Porridge, slowly simmered with vanilla and cinnamon and topped with sweet ripe banana and steaming hot milk. I love the creamy and chewy texture of steel cut oats and warmth and goodness that you get from every mouthful. When serving this porridge, it's important that you accompany with extra steaming hot milk to pour over so that eating them is purely delicious comfort food. I'm a banana fan through and through, so I often top mine with lots of banana, but you can finish them off with other seasonal fruits you fancy such as poached vanilla pear, roasted apple or quince. A light sprinkling of LSA or roasted hazelnut can also add a lovely flavour and texture.
1 cup milk ( your choice - plus extra to serve)
3 cups water
1 teaspoon vanilla bean
1 whole cinnamon stick
pinch of sea salt
1 cup steel-cut oats
2 bananas, sliced
small handful raisins or muscatels
2 tablespoons roasted chopped hazelnuts, walnuts or LSA
Extra hot milk to serve
Honey to serve
- Combine oats, water, milk, vanilla, salt, raisins and cinnamon into a pot.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer.
- Cook partially covered, stirring the pot with a spoon every now and then until the porridge is creamy and tender. This normally takes around 20 - 25 minutes.
- Add more milk if necessary - it's important the porridge is lovely and velvety, not stodgy so the more milk the better !
- Discard cinnamon stick.
- Divide into serving bowls and top with sliced banana and roasted nuts if using.
- Pour over extra hot milk and accompany with a little honey on the side.
Notes and Inspiration
Pump up the protein to more than 15 g per serve and add 1 tablespoon Healthy Chef Natural WPI.
Top with vanilla poached pear and star anise infused Persian poached figs.
Go green and stir through 1/2 teaspoon Healthy Chef Organic Matcha for an antioxidant boost.