Almond + Chai Oat Porridge
What's great about it
1 cup milk ( your choice - plus extra to serve)
3 cups water
1 teaspoon vanilla bean
1 teaspoon Healthy Chef Chai Latte
pinch of sea salt
1 cup steel-cut oats
2 bananas, sliced
small handful raisins or muscatels
2 tablespoons roasted chopped almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts or LSA
Extra hot milk to serve
Honey to serve
- Combine oats, water, milk, vanilla, salt, raisins and Chai Latte, into a pot.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer.
- Cook partially covered, stirring the pot with a spoon every now and then until the porridge is creamy and tender. This normally takes around 20 - 25 minutes.
- Add more milk if necessary - it's important the porridge is lovely and velvety, not stodgy so the more milk the better !
- Discard cinnamon stick.
- Divide into serving bowls and top with sliced banana and roasted nuts if using.
- Pour over extra hot milk and accompany with a little honey on the side.
Notes and Inspiration
Pump up the protein to more than 15 g per serve and add 1 tablespoon Healthy Chef Natural WPI.
Top with vanilla poached pear and star anise infused Persian poached figs.
Go green and stir through 1/2 teaspoon Healthy Chef Organic Matcha for an antioxidant boost.