Sweet Potato Tart with Greens + Ricotta
By Teresa Cutter
What's great about it
This delicious tart is based on the recipe from my cookbook The 80/20 Diet. Packed with protein to sustain lean muscle and calcium for good bone health, ricotta is satiating and nourishing for the body and gives this tart a divinely soft and creamy texture. The addition of sweet potatoes provide a slow release of energy for the body. High in vitamins B5, B6, sweet potatoes are great for digestive health as they contain prebiotic fibre which promotes healthy gut bacteria.
1 kg fresh deli style ricotta
2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
6 organic eggs
60 g (2 oz) rocket leaves - a few generous handfuls
60 g (2 oz) spinach leaves - a few generous handfuls
1 bunch fresh chopped parsley leaves
1 bunch sage, leaves (for garnish only - see notes)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 sweet potato
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- PREHEAT oven to 160°C / 320°F.
- PREPARE a 25 cm (10 inch) baking tin by brushing it with olive oil.
- COMBINE ricotta, Parmesan and eggs into a food processor.
- BLEND until smooth.
- ADD the spinach, rocket, parsley and salt and blend for a few seconds until combined and the greens are chopped.
- SPOON the mixture into your baking tin and flatten the top.
- SHAVE sweet potato into thin ribbons using a potato peeler then lightly coat in a little olive oil and sea salt.
- LAY the sweet potato over the tart loosely. It will seem like a lot but the sweet potato will collapse as it cooks.
- BAKE for 75 minutes or until set. The top of the tart should wobble when touched then it's ready.
- REMOVE and allow to come to room temperature before removing from the tin.
- GARNISH with lightly sautéed sage leaves or freshly chopped parsley.
- SERVE and enjoy.
Notes and Inspiration
Make sure to always use high quality, firm deli-style ricotta - never ones that are watery from a packet.
Drizzle with salsa verde and serve with leafy greens and a balsamic vinegar dressing.
For sage leaves, lightly sauté in a medium hot pan with a generous amount of clarified butter (ghee), olive oil or butter. They will start to go crisp and taste delicious. Spoon over the tart before serving. Alternatively you can just use freshly chopped parsley.
This tart keeps well in the fridge for up to 5 days.