Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese
By Teresa Cutter
What's great about it
This is a delicious vegan take on my healthy low-carb spaghetti bolognese from my cookbook Purely Delicious. I've created this recipe based on Mediterranean diet principles, which is my favourite way of eating as it includes antioxidant rich wholefoods including tomatoes, plump eggplant, zucchini and extra virgin olive oil.
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, smashed
olive oil for sautéing
2 organic carrots, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1 red capsicum, chopped
1 kg roma tomatoes
2 cups filtered water (you could also use 1 cup of good drinking red wine to replace one cup of the water) You can enjoy the leftover wine with your dinner for added resveratrol benefits.
sea salt to taste
1 medium eggplant, cut into cubes
2 - 3 tablespoons of good quality tomato paste
fresh chopped parsley to garnish
ADD YOUR CHOICE OF VEGAN PROTEIN
1 tin organic borlotti beans or
1 cup walnuts, crushed or
150 g grated organic tempeh or tofu
1 cup roasted macadamias
1 clove garlic
½ teaspoon turmeric
- Saute your onion and garlic briefly in a heavy-based pan with a generous amount of olive oil.
- Add the mirepoix of carrots, celery and capsicum and mix for about 3 minutes over a medium heat.
- Add the tomatoes, water or red wine, if desired.
- Cover the sauce for 20 minutes on low to medium heat - enough so it's bubbling nicely, stirring it now and then. This is the stage you should also add your protein. I added walnuts to mine, but my hubby also loves additional beans.
- In the meantime, roast the eggplant for 15 minutes at 200°C. The eggplant will provide a nice meaty texture to the dish.
- Add the tomato paste to your sauce as well as the eggplant, then simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Blend the macadamias, garlic and turmeric in a blender or food processor for a few seconds until crumbly. You will have a golden crumble-like parmesan that is out of this world!
- Run the zucchini and carrots along a mandolin to form nice long spaghetti strips. Or use a julienne slicer or spiralizer.
- Toss zucchini and carrots seperately in a pan over a medium heat in olive oil for 1 - 3 minutes - the carrots will take 3 minutes and zucchini 1 minute.
- Divide vegetable spaghetti onto serving bowls and top with bolognese sauce, chopped parsley and vegan parmesan. You can also use a good quality spelt pasta or roasted organic sweet potato which is awesome!
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
Notes and Inspiration
For meat lovers, make my delicious Gluten-Free Spaghetti Bolognese recipe.
Any leftover vegan parmesan can be kept in a jar to be used over salads and vegetable dishes or just eaten straight from the jar!
More healthy recipes from Teresa Cutter
Shop The Story
Shop The Story
This delicious vegan recipe is from my #1 bestselling ebook VEGAN and my award winning cookbook Purely Delicious. The...
One of my favourite one-pot meals is spaghetti bolognese. I love it because it's nourishing...